If you are a Training Manager and you need to create several Student or Teacher accounts, you can use the Student/Teacher CSV import function.
To create Student accounts using the CSV import function, select the Users tab, then select 'Import Students'.
To create Teacher accounts, select 'Import Teachers'.
- In the window that appears, select 'Choose File' and browse to your chosen CSV file.
- When you have finished, select 'Import'. Remember that the Student/Teacher import process can take some time.
The CSV import is for creating Student and Teacher accounts only. To create additional Training Manager accounts, select the Users tab, then select 'New user' in the menu.
CSV import guidance
- A CSV file is a kind of table or spreadsheet that can be used to import or export data between different software programs. There are several spreadsheet programs which make it easy to create and edit CSV files. Examples include Google Sheets (Google Docs), OpenOffice, Numbers and Microsoft Excel.
- There are two templates for CSV files attached to this article. Once completed, these can be used to import Students and Teachers to the Richmond Learning Platform. The templates can be edited using the spreadsheet programs listed above.
- You can also download these templates from the Richmond Learning Platform. Select the Users tab. Select 'More' in the menu, then select either 'Download Students CSV template' or 'Download Teachers CSV template'.
- There are some mandatory fields (rows and columns) in the CSV file templates. These are listed below. You must complete these fields in the templates to ensure that your CSV files are accepted by the Richmond Learning Platform.
- Don't enter any information in any other columns or rows in the CSV templates, including any columns that do not have a heading.
- Don't edit the column headings of the CSV templates.
- Avoid entering information into a row of a template and then deleting it (as the deleted information is stored and the CSV file will be rejected by the Richmond Learning Platform).
- Special characters (like í and ñ) can be entered in the CSV templates.
- To ensure that your CSV files are accepted, please save your files as '.csv' documents.
- The import process may take a while. We recommend importing a maximum of 400 users per CSV file.
- Make sure you use the correct Import button. If you fill in the CSV template for importing Students, but then select ‘Import Teachers’ on the Richmond Learning Platform, the Student accounts will be created as Teacher accounts. You cannot change a user's role once the account has been created. The same problem can happen the other way around: Teacher accounts will be created as Student accounts if you select 'Import Students' by mistake. To fix this problem, you would need to delete all of the incorrect accounts, then reimport the CSV file using the correct import option.
- If you are having problems with the CSV import process when using Microsoft Excel, please try an alternative program (see list in 1 above). Microsoft Excel can sometimes cause problems with the CSV import.
Mandatory fields in the CSV template for importing Students
- Last name – please enter the student’s last name(s).
- First name – please enter the student’s first name(s).
- Class – this field allows you to indicate which class or classes your students are imported in to. You can enter more than one class in this field but they must be separated by commas (no spaces around the commas), e.g.
Class A,Class B, Class C. Please make sure the class name in the CSV file matches the class name on the Richmond Learning Platform (including capitalisation and spaces). Important: if you are NOT using MS Excel to create your CSV document, you must add quotation marks (" ") around the classes, e.g.
"Class A,Class B,Class C". MS Excel adds these quotation marks automatically in the background (you won't see them), so you don't need to add them if you are using this program.
- Email – please enter the student's email address. The student will need this to log in.
Mandatory fields in the CSV template for importing Teachers
- Last name – please enter the teacher's last name(s).
- First name – please enter the teacher's first name(s).
- Email – please enter the teacher's email address. The teacher will need this to log in.
In the template for importing Teachers, the Class field is not mandatory. You can decide whether or not you want to enter teachers' classes.
If you would prefer to add teachers to classes later, please see this article for more information. If you do enter classes in the CSV template, make sure the class name in the CSV file matches the class name on the Richmond Learning Platform. You can enter more than one class in this field but they must be separated by commas (no spaces around the commas), e.g. Class A,Class B, Class C. Important: if you are NOT using MS Excel to create your CSV document, you must add quotation marks (" ") around the classes, e.g. "Class A,Class B,Class C". MS Excel adds these quotation marks automatically in the background (you won't see them), so you don't need to add them if you are using this program.
If you are using the CSV import function to update information about existing users, you need to include all the classes that you want your teachers or students to be linked to in the Class field (including classes they are already linked to on the Richmond Learning Platform). If you do not include the names of classes the teachers or students are already linked to, when you reimport the CSV file to the Learning Platform, the users will be removed from those classes. For more information on using CSV files to update existing Student/Teacher accounts, please see this article.
The CSV import function is for creating Student and Teacher accounts only. You can create Training Managers using the 'New user' button on the Users tab.
Login details for new Student and Teacher accounts
Students and Teachers will need to enter an email address, password and Institution ID to access the Richmond Learning Platform.
For new Student and Teacher accounts created using the CSV import, the login details are:
- Email – this is the email address entered for each student/teacher in the CSV files.
- Password – this will be “pass” for all new Student and Teacher accounts. Users will be asked to change their password when they log in for the first time.
- Institution ID – all users in your institution share the same Institution ID.
Before you start a CSV import, please check that your registered email address is correct. When the import finishes, you will receive an email at your registered email address.
To check or change your email address, open your Profile by selecting your name in the top right hand corner. If you change your email address, make sure you select 'Save changes'. You may need to log out of the Richmond Learning Platform and then log back in for the changes to take effect.
When the CSV import finishes, you will either receive an email confirming that the import was successful, or an email listing any errors with the import. An error email contains information about where the errors are in your CSV file, as well as a brief description of the errors.
If any error is found in your CSV file during the import, the import will not be successful. You will need to correct the errors in your CSV file (using the information in the error email to help you), then restart the import.
Exporting information and updating Student accounts
You can also use CSV files to export information about students on the Richmond Learning Platform, such as their first and last names, email address and classes they belong to. This can be useful if you need to update a large number of existing user accounts. It is not currently possible to export information about teacher accounts.
Please see this article for more information.